3 cups Textured Soy (TVP)
5 dried guajillo chilies
1 dried pasilla chile
5 cups filtered water
8-10 cloves peeled garlic
4 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chile powder
1 teaspoon cayenne chile powder
1 teaspoon Thyme (tomillo)
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground marjoram (mejorana)
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ cup extra light olive oil
1 medium finely chopped onion
1. Measure textured soy; set aside in a mix bowl.
2. Put water to boil in a medium pot. Remove stems from the dried chilies and rinse them well. Add chilies to the boiling water; turn off the heat. Leave covered and let stand for about 20 minutes.
3. Mix together all dry spices in a bowl.
4. Add soaked chiles and the water in a blender. Add garlic, all dry spices and salt. Process until all ingredients are well incorporated.
5. Add mixture to the textured soy (add one extra cup of filtered water if needed to get all the remaining sauce from the blender) and mix soy and sauce very well. Add the olive oil and stir thoroughly for a second time. Finally add the chopped onion and mix to incorporate all the ingredients.
Chorizo is ready to store in a Ziploc bag in your fridge for up to two weeks, You may also freeze chorizo until needed.
Fry the chorizo in a non-stick pan and combine with your favorite ingredients such as eggs, beans, etc. Use soy chorizo as you would use regular meat chorizo. Enjoy!